Sunday

Vegetable Lentil Soup

I bought a slow cooker some years ago and then promptly ordered two cookbooks from Amazon. One of the cookbooks has since been passed onto Lifeline for their next Book Fest while over time I have developed some preferences from the other.


Of course, having become a Thermomix advocate means that I’ll do my best to convert any recipes I find in a competitive cookbook to work even better by using the Thermomix. And that’s exactly what happened when I cooked a modified version of a recipe for Spicy Vegetable-Lentil Soup from the cookbook “America's Best Slow Cooker Recipes which I worked out could no longer be obtained from Amazon but is still listed there. 
I started out thinking I’d make this lentil soup in the slow cooker, but as I perused the ingredients and instructions, I realised this was a perfect candidate for a Thermomix conversion. Naturally I replaced some ingredients that I didn’t have on hand. 

Recipe Ingredients:
half a cup of red lentils
1 inch ginger
1 clove garlic
chopped onion
½ tsp cumin seeds
Granny Smith apple peeled cored and diced(90g)
2 medium carrots peeled (370g – well maybe they were large!)
chinese bok choy chopped (50g).
½ tsp of Thermomix stock concentrate
½ teaspoon curry powder
600ml water

Instructions:
Wash the red lentils and set them aside.
Process the ginger and garlic for 5 seconds on speed 7.
Push the ginger and garlic down into the lower section of the bowl.
Add onion, cumin seeds, Granny Smith apple, carrots and chinese bok choy.
Process the mix for 5 seconds on speed 7.
Add stock concentrate, curry powder and water with the soaked red lentils.
Cook in the Thermomix for 20 minutes at 100 degrees C on speed 1.
Blend the mix at speed 6 for 10 seconds.
Yummm... It’s been a while since I’ve made this soup and it has always been in the slow cooker. I previously blended the soup at a higher speed which gave it a creamy consistency. This time around, I’ve deliberately blended it at a lower speed so that the consistency of the lentils will show through. I really enjoyed eating this soup. It tasted delicious and I promptly went back for some more.
This made a lovely dinner after which I set a new resolution to troll through this cookbook to see if there are any other recipes that I’d like to convert to the Thermomix.

No comments: