Monday

Sweet and Sour Chicken



I’ve enjoyed making coconut chicken from Thermomix’s Budget Busters cookbook, and the fast chicken curry recipe from the Everyday Cooking recipe book always works out well. But I wanted to make a chicken meal without coconut milk.
I remembered a sweet and sour pork recipe from the Woman’s Day “Cooking for Slimmers” cookbook and adapted the coconut chicken recipe to work with these new ingredients. The key difference I noted about the sweet and sour recipe was that no corn flour was used to thicken the sauce which suited me as I’ve always enjoyed the consistency of the meal.
There are a few differences between the pork recipe and my chicken version. While I would have preferred to use a freshly cut pineapple, I took the easy option of a small can of pineapple pieces. A roma tomato supplemented the quarter piece of capsicum that I had.
The resulting meal with some brown rice was yummy and will certainly be on the menu again.

Recipe ingredients:
3cm piece ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 onion halved
30g oil
1 tsp sugar
3 chicken thighs (330g) cubed bite-size
1 tbsp soy sauce
225g tin pineapple pieces and juice
1/4 red capsicum chopped
1 roma tomato chopped

Instructions:
Chop ginger, garlic and onion in the Thermomix for 2 secs on speed 6.
Add oil and sauté for 3 mins at Varoma temperature on speed 1.
Add sugar and chicken thighs. Cook for 4 mins at Varoma temperature  on Reverse speed 1.
Add soy sauce, pineapple pieces and juice, capsicum and tomato. Cook for 9 mins at 100deg C on Reverse speed 1.
Serve with rice or steamed vegetables.

No comments: